Friday, May 23, 2008

On the pronoun "en" and demonstrative pronouns(celui, celles, etc) PART 1

I'm currently reading my two French grammar books, Bescherelle: la grammaire and Advanced French Grammar. Last week I learned how the pronoun en works, finally. I've been so confused about this pronoun, I never know when to use it. Now I get it:

En
Direct object: replaces partitive articles(du, de la, de l') + noun

ex: J'ai bu le thé
---> J'en ai bu.

Indirect object: replaces de + noun after verbs taking de + object(parler de, avoir besoin de, etc)

ex:
J'ai besoin d'un billet
--->J'en ai besoin

Je me doutais qu'il partirait
--->Je m'en doutais.

Expressions of quantity(easiest, and the only one I've learned in school -_-):

With expressions of quantity like beaucoup de, peu de, assez de, trop de, etc. it replaces the de + noun

ex: j'ai beaucoup de livres
--->j'en ai beaucoup


For expressions that do not contain "de" but numbers or indefinite determiners(plusieurs, aucun, etc.) only the object is replaced, everything else is kept

ex:
Il a une voiture
---> il en a une

en replacing de + clause:

This is a little complicated, but from what I understand, when en can be used to replace a clause when the constuction of the sentence doesn't change if you use a noun or pronoun, as in the verb in the sentence would still be followed by de either way.

ex:
J'ai besoin d'aller au magasin
--->J'en ai besoin(could be j'ai besoin d'y aller, too I think)

Il s'est rendu compte de ce qu'il avait dit
--->Il s'en est rendu compte

This is, however, wouldn't work:
J'ai oublié de laisser mes livres sur votre bureau
WRONG--J'en ai oublié
RIGHT--J'ai oublié (de le faire)

My explanation of this is that because oublier it's always followed by de like avoir besoin de regardless of whether it is a noun or a verb, en can not replace the clause.


---
Now that I've written all of this out here, I feel that I understand it better. I'll be adding the demonstrative articles later because right now I'm bushed.

No comments: