Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In the gallery...

I'm am, right now, sitting in the art gallery, insidiously aware of the presence of two individuals who, after being told the gallery rules, gave me the "quelle ridicule!" before casually walking throughout the gallery repeatedly.  My response is simple--in my head, of course--"have you ever been to a museum or gallery?"  Oh art majors... we are so unbelievably critical and self-aggrandizing... thank you Pollock for your contribution to the American psyche of the artist. 

On a lighter note, my macbook does work the MIP(has to do with my work, remote access to data and stuff), I just have to use Firefox instead of Safari.  How grand...I still, however, have to work from the library...but at least not on the library computers.  This is most pleasing. 

For my modernism art history class I have to choose a book that has to do with modernism in art, and...although I was interested in a book by Gino(the futurist...what was his full name?  I've forgotten) I remembered another book I bought over the summer that, due to craziness in regard to the UNT post office got sent back, by Petrine Archer-Straw who I read about on the Columbia University Art History department website (they suggest for perspective students to have a specific professor whose work interests them, so I was sifting through all the faculty when I stumbled upon her, who happens to be a visiting professor, if I remember correctly, so that's a slight bust) named Negrophilia: Avant-Garde Paris and Black culture in the 1920s.  This book is insanely interesting and fits perfectly with the topic of modernism, so I have chosen it for my book review--I'm actually very excited about it and will probably finish it by the end of this week if I have the chance. 

Things are pretty boring....other than needing only to buy my plane ticket and book my housing, everything is smooth and relaxed....plus it's raining outside frequently...very nice. 


No comments: