I honestly just had a revelation. Recently I've been thinking more closely about what exactly I want to do. I'm not at all second guessing major because I love art and its history, and love french/foreign languages so much that I can't imagine choosing between art history or French. After my "life-changing" trip to Paris, however, I've come to remember something my high school English teacher told me concerning my interest in studying Japanese and working abroad: "Well, it doesn't make much sense to major in Japanese if you want to teach English there, you should major in English." Yes, this is true Mr. W and it is most certainly true today.
In addition, I remembered when Vic asked me what I wanted to do after I graduated, to which I replied: work in an art museum in France. Vic: Le Louvre? Me: Oui, mais...ce sera difficile, je pense. Vic: Ouuiii.
And it's quite frankly unlikely(plus the Louvre isn't really the art museum of my heart, more so the Musée d'Orsay). Again, being that getting a job as a non-French citizen is extremely difficult, what in the world could I do with advanced degrees in Art History and French? Moreover, remembering that conversation and the feeling I got when I answered--a feeling of "er, yeah well, that's boring" --has got me thinking of how I do not want a boring job or a job where I sit and stare at files and never go anywhere (hmm...sounds like I've been there before). Now I'm not saying at all that working in an art museum is boring work, but what I want is to travel, go out and see art and meet artists. I don't even want a prospect of being glued to a desk.
So what conclusion have I come to?
Rather abruptly I realized a few weeks ago that I'm more interested in art criticism than art history, although they go hand-in-hand. What I mean is, I want to write art criticism for a magazine, journal, or something of that sort. I love to write, I love art, and with my ability(or soon to be ability) to speak French I could cover contemporary art in France for an American magazine or newspaper, or vice versa with a French one(so long as I spend more time in France than anything else). This makes so much sense, moreover, I looked up some of the art and music critics working for the New York Times and my areas of study correspond directly with what they studied. Neat huh? Now I just need to work on my grammar/spelling in both French and English. baah...
2 comments:
I just found your blog via Bisous from Paris and I just wanted to say I really enjoy it! It's been a great resource for learning French as well :) I've already linked you. Take care!
hahah, thanks--it's really flattering to hear its a good read! My french probably isn't the best thing to use as a resource, as each time I read one of my posts I see a new mistake...@_@
thanks again for reading and I'll definitely be checking out your blog(s). :)
Post a Comment