Tuesday, April 27, 2010

18 + 30 + 107 = SCOTLAND

I have 18 days until graduation and I'm so ready for this degree... I'm ready to move on. UNT has become the most agitating place now and the fact that I'm in Denton makes it worse. So, 18 days until graduation, 30 days until K goes back to Ireland :(, and 107 days until my internship at the MFAH - yes I got it, yippee! - ends and I'm on my way to Europe. I haven't decided if I'll go to Dublin or London, depending on where K is, the last two weeks of August, then move into the apartment in Edinburgh. My other option is to wait until September and fly straight to Edinburgh. I think I'll do the former but... we shall see. What's funny is that I'll have a week before classes start to get use to the city, then the weekend before classes start K and I will be going to Spain for his sister's wedding! It's going to be insane. Dublin or London for two weeks, Edinburgh for one week, and then Spain for the weekend. Fabulous.

I haven't posted in a really long time so I need to make a decent update. So, as mentioned above I got the internship at the MFAH, which will be great. During the interview I was told what we'd be working on and I'm so excited for it. I'll just say it has to do modern art from a specific country in central europe. I'm really excited to be working there, actually going to the interview and walking around Houston with K was so much fun, made me realize how beautiful the downtown area is. It's really great that I'll get the experience of working there in my field of study, with a staff that seems really nice and laid back. Plus the fact that it's paid makes it even better.

On a less exciting note, for some reason K and I have been arguing over the most asinine things, mainly because he's so overly sensitive and... I just don't get it. I'm very understanding of him and his issues, but the overreacting and then not seeing it as overreacting and ONLY as my fault is a bit unnerving for me... and, quite frankly, it pisses me off. Yesterday we had a 4 hour "argument" about the top of a pint of ice cream. Yes, an ice cream top. We were getting a movie from the redbox machine at 7/11 after buying a pint of ice cream, he looks at it and says "has this been open? there's no seal on it.." and I look back at him, probably with a "are you serious?"- look, but definitely in a playful manner, and say "there's never a seal on it." He laughs and says "ignorant," which I laughed about too. Now, he made that comment, not me! Anyway, so meanwhile the redbox disc has come out and grab for it but it gets sucked back in. After I finally get it he makes a comment about me pushing the red box disk in and my reply is "i didn't push it in, it took it back because i took too long to take it because of your ice cream top question." And thus begins the four hour ordeal, which includes us getting back to the apartment and him storming out again in a huff. Then, when I'm on my way to the library, him stopping me from going so he could proceed to preach to me about how degrading and belittling what I said was, all the while changing his argument to include the fact that he was the one who made the comment about his question being ignorant...

Of course I felt bad about hurting his feelings, but I just, even now, can't understand how something like that-- a dispute that in my book did not require that amount of theatrics-- lasted for four hours and resulting in him running out and smoking two cigarettes after being off them for three months. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see this has being overly sensitive. I'd hate to see his reaction if I actually tried to belittle him, which I have never and will never do. I even tried to explain to him why I was pissed off and he wouldn't listen... I apologized over and over and he dragged it out for four hours, which made me even more angry. This is something so minute... I can't even understand why it's still bothering me. I'd like to attempt to clear it up in a way that it doesn't happen again, because his overreacting actually turned a frog into a snake. I mean, explode and bitch about something that's actually offensive... he's had people do much worse things than criticize his knowledge of ice cream tops and not acted anywhere near to how he acted last night... how can something like that really piss someone off that much? How? He's had people physically disrespect him (his sisters, for instance) and not reacted like that.... Although I will actively try to not do it again (whatever it was o_O?), I don't think my attempts will be much help if he doesn't tone down the overdramatic reaction and misinterpretation of my actions.

Aside from those shenanigans, I've actually greatly enjoyed K being here. We've been goofing around and saw the flaming lips a while ago. There's been, by far, much more fun than arguing.

Flaming Lips in Denton



4 comments:

Oneika said...

cute pic with your man! and LOVE your hair! sounds like you are two people who love each other and are maybe arguing about stupid things because K is leaving soon? long distance is always difficult (believe me, i'm in a LD relationship right now and sometimes it's real hard)...

looking forward to more (frequent) updates!!! :-)

Risse said...

Yeah, i know. I think the problem was we would have arguments and not really address the issue completely (we'd make up before the air had been cleared completely). Everything is good though. The arguments have ceased!

LD relationships are a pain, I'm just happy that after the summer I won't have to deal with the distance anymore. :)

Anonymous said...

Risse I am sooo glad I found you. You know we are only 3 hours away from each other. I am finishing up my Master's here in Houston and am waiting to apply to the University in Italy for my second Master's/PhD.. How's Denton? LOL

Viajera said...

So excited for you! Try to ride out those humps cuz as Nikita sez, LD is shite! :P