Friday, July 30, 2010

Where oh where can my loan letter be....

Yes, I am still waiting for that blasted loan letter. It's been a month of "it'll be out in a few weeks," says one guy, "it'll be out next week," says a woman a few days later, "we're sending letters out today and tomorrow," says the same woman to K when he called, "I can't give you a specific date as to when they'll be out," says the same woman to me a day later.

So, I figured I'd give them a week before I started berating them. K insisted I start immediately pestering them nonstop. Thursday I cracked. I called and got the first guy on the phone who was way more helpful than the woman I talked to. I think that conversation is a pure and simple example of how USELESS financial aid departments are/can be (this is me paraphasing):
him: Ok, so let me look at your information on our system and I'll see where we are with your application.
me: ok.
him: um... alright so we have all your information and it looks like we're waiting to hear back from the states for verifying your MPN. I can't tell you when we'll hear back from them.
me: ah, alright but the problem is, I've got a flight booked for mid-August...and I can't apply for my visa until I get that letter.
him: ummm... mid-August, eh? hmmm... hold on, I'm going to talk to my colleague and get back to you.
me: alright.
I sat for about two minutes listening to that horrible hold sound... it's just as irritating and disconcerting as the sound French phones make when you call someone.
him: ok, we'll it looks like we can go ahead and use that MPN we have for you and get your letter out today or tomorrow with the next batch [of letters].
me: !! oh great! Does that mean I'll get it by next week?
him: yeah, it usually takes 5 to 7 days or so (blah blah blah lightly accented scottish mummbles).

Now, why did I have to lie about the date of my flight (I just said I was leaving a few days earlier) to get some fucking progress? It's ridiculous. I'm assuming I'll get it in the mail by Thursday at the latest. FINALLY I won't have to move my biometrics back again!

Now, on to work related shananagins.

Everytime I talk to an artist (today I telephoned M. Sontheimer about a work he did for the museum, so nice!) I have remorse for not taking more art classes. Now I know me and I know I am NOT an art class person (at least at this point). I couldn't stand taking classes where I'm told what to draw and how to think about art. Now I've got no with being taught the things all artists should know (different types of composition, color, lighting, values, or how to best use certain mediums). I understand the importance of the basics. BUT! Beyond that, I'm a all about experimentation, which is why I did not apply to MFA programs. I like the idea of opening up a students mind to artists, to concepts, requiring reading, requiring we look at different artists. I know that's too personal an approach for a class of something like twenty+ students. That's the stuff that inspired me to make art, gives me ideas, and helps me move forward in my art production. I mean, I made a huge leap in making art when I went to Paris, started reading tons of French literature and art criticism/theory, went to museums and galleries, and sketched, a lot. That's when it hit me what I wanted to do artistically. Obviously, for me, studio classes weren't going to do that for me.

So why do I feel so guilty for not taking more of them??

K's sister C just graduated from Central St. Martins (she did her final show, a live art piece, and had two galleries approach her about doing it again for them). She now HATES arts schools, mainly because of the number of rich wankers that go there. I can imagine I would feel the same. To me the most obvious benefit is the number of contacts one gets when doing a degree and the experience (whether in museums or exhibiting on campus). Now THAT I wish I'd not missed out on. I did enter exhibitions (and got into one) my first semester of college and then stopped, as I was researching where I wanted my work to go and what I wanted it to say for about two years. I mainly stopped because I didn't like the work I had.

I think now I just worry about whether people take me seriously when I say "I'm getting masters in Modern Art history but I'm also a studio artist/painter?" I think I'm afriad there's a biased in the eyes of artists for those who don't do art history instead of studying art route. There's a method to my madness... I promise!

My artistic goals for this year (Sept-Sept):
Rebuild my portfolio (I'm leaving my recent and most beloved paintings here in Texas because it's too expensive to ship them, so I've got to make a new portfolio of work) with at least fifteen paintings and drawings-- maybe less if I do some more big paintings
-participate in local art shows and become familiar with art scene (i.e. GO to gallery opens and stay on top of what's going on in the art world).
-keep exploring the use of pastels/ink on paper
-experiament with unprimed canvas and ink/staining (I've always used primed canvans, now I'm switching over)
-STRETCH MY OWN FUCKING CANVAS DAMNIT! It'll save me tons... maybe.

6 comments:

Annie James said...

Hi! I actually found your blog while searching for news on the loan letters for Edinburgh : P I'm in the same boat, called today, and they said mine was "in the pile and we'll email you as soon as it's in the post." Very frustrating. I'm coming over from NH with my new hubby (if his freaking visa gets approved), going for my masters in Women's History. If you need help stretching canvases, I could be of assistance! It would be nice to know someone in a new city (especially a fellow artist).
-Annie

Risse said...

Yeah, it's sooo frustrating and they are very, very unhelpful. Hopefully I will actually get my letter this week, should come tomorrow or thursday. *crosses fingers*

When are you two leaving? Is your husband coming over as your dependent? I've been so anxious about getting this stupid letter that I've not even thought about actually applying for the visa and potentially get refused. I'm going to do the priority service and *hopefully* get it back in two days...

I'd love to have canvas stretching help! I don't know why I never learned how to.

Annie James said...

We're flying out the 30th of Aug. Yep, he's going to apply for a visa as my dependent - I think you and I should be fine because we're sponsored by Edinburgh, but I'm worried about his getting refused. *fingers crossed*

You're going to laugh when you see how ridiculously easy it is to stretch canvas. Mostly you just need a good staple gun and elbow grease, haha. My problem is I can never seem to develop an original painting style - I always just end up churning out something that looks like whatever art book I'm reading at the moment.

Have you started thinking about what to pack yet? I've lived in Spain and Italy, but I've never visited Scotland, so I have this romantic idea of mists and green and old castles everywhere. No clue what one needs in terms of clothing for that type of situation : P Makes me very sad to know that sunglasses and a bikini will likely not be needed, hahaha.

Risse said...

I'm sure his visa will be accepted, just make sure everything is perfect before you send everything! Are you going to do the priority service?

I figured it was easy.. it's sad I've decided to start doing it when I'm moving and will no longer have 1) access to a staple gun 2) room to make huge canvases.

As far as an original style goes, it takes time. For me it was a matter of experimenting and figuring out what it is I want my art to say and how my style would connect to the idea. My style is a melange of a bunch of influences, really. I'm still discovering my style but I've just now gotten to a point where I can see myself coming through in it.

I actually started packing this past weekend. I always have to start packing weeks in advance, otherwise I miss something. All I've been told my boyfriend (who's irish and has been to edinburgh a few times) is prepare for arctic conditions. ;_; I have one suitcase full of coats.... from being in Ireland over Christmas I got a small taste of what the weather will be like.

How long did you live in Italy and Spain? Have you two found housing yet? My boyfriend is over in Edinburgh scoping out places for the next day or so.

Annie James said...

Yeah, I think at this point the priority service is worth it for peace of mind. I'm nearly in panic mode waiting for that stupid letter!

I'm starting to pack today - just sorted through all my makeup and jewelry - it's amazing how much crap we can accumulate, and only use about 10% of it!! I promised myself (and Dan, the husband) that I would pare down the wardrobe to absolute essentials, but I think I might actually need to buy a couple of things too, namely coats and hats. I'm not nearly prepared for anything like "arctic conditions," lol.

I hope I get to see some of your art sometime! I absolutely love seeing what other people are working on. Gives me motivation to paint when I see other people who are happy with their work - I'm trying to get to that place where I finish a painting and like it without being overly critical. It's probably good that you didn't take many art classes - like you said on your blog, instructors tell you how art should be, and that introduces too much doubt and self-analysis!

I spent a couple of months in Italy and almost half a year in Spain. Barcelona is my dream home. I have never felt American, being from a very Euro family, so when I lived in Madrid it was like, WOW! I finally fit in!

We do have housing already - one of the couples flats belonging to the university. Hoping it's not too small and dorm-like. It's in Cowgate, which I assume is a good thing, since it seems to be in the center of a historical area. Your boyfriend would probably have a much better idea of what neighborhoods are desirable since he knows the city, I'm just going from what I can see on Google maps. Do you know whereabouts you two are looking for a flat?

My email is sphinxsight@aol.com if it's easier for you than replying to comments on here!

Risse said...

Hey, I sent you an email.

Have you heard anything from Edinburgh yet?