I've found a new annoyance about being in the UK (you'd be surprised at how many I have at this point). It's actually a pretty big one when the weather is bad and one has a trip planned.... there's no accurate weather forecasting!
I know, I know. Most news stations have bad weather forecasting, they get it wrong a lot of time when you'd wish they didn't. But here, they take it to a new level. I mean, take the BBC for instance: On their main live news program they talk about the weather, hardly mention Edinburgh, and only give a same day to next day forecast... ALL THE TIME. What's worse, you can actually watch a BBC weather broadcast for Scotland, but for some bizarre reason they two NEVER EVER match. So you go to the the uk weather channel website, they have a completely different forecast to both of them. It seems like the only way to figure out what the weather is going to be is to stare out the window!
Normally this wouldn't bother me. But I'm a bit annoyed to wake up in the morning, having been forecasted either to have sleet or sunny skies (an example of how the BBC can't even keep up with it's own weather forecasts) and what do I see? SNOW! Not light snow, but heavy freaking snow. The airport is closed. This is so frustrating that I'm praying to Chuck Norris and the powers of Grey Skull to come and intervene (I'll take a round house kick or evil anti-thundercat maneuver to the face of this snow any day!).
I must get to Amsterdam. It's the new place I've decided I must visit. After it I can move on to Prague, Lisbon, anywhere in Morocco or the south of France. Please.... let me go snow, ppllllleeaaassse.
-----------
On a side note, we have a mouse problem. It's gotten pretty ridiculous at this point, to the level that I, a vegetarian, have suggested cruel and unusual punishment for these rodents that dare enter our domain! Well, not exactly, but I'm getting to the point that I'd sticky pad the whole kitchen to get rid out them. We've killed seven at this point and K has finally decided/accepted that we're fighting a one sided battled-- we can kill them as much as we want but because we live in an flat complex they're going to keep coming. So, he emailed the landlady to tell her to have her 'builders' come fix this blasted gap under the oven where they've been coming in. It's a good thing too because we got up this morning to find one of our fancy two pound plastic mouse traps vanished. It's more than unsettling to think what it caught last night, obviously something big enough to get caught and then walk away with it.. Arghhh!
2 comments:
Hello, I've been a long reader of your blog and I think I want to apply to graduate school in the UK. I was wondering if I could ask you questions about the process and how to choose where to apply. If you have an email I could send to or if I could ask in the comments? Thanks, I really want to go to either England or Scotland!
Hey, yeah sure. Just send me an email at cpw0021@unt.edu and I'll be happy to help.
Post a Comment