As I sit here grading papers on a surprisingly sunny Rouen day, I'm faced with a dilemma. I really, really need a job. My funds are dwindling rapidly what with buying art supplies, paying for yet another (expensive) French language exam, and all the other expenses...
Since coming here my boyfriend has had three interviews (most recent on today). He got a job within a few weeks of us living here, and now is being offered another way that pays slightly less than his current but offers more (lucnh vouchers, transport costs, paid vacation). Why is this? Because he 1) has a Ph.D, 2) did a TEFL course a billion years ago 3) has about four years of teaching experience at university level.
I, on the other hand, have sent a few applications with no replies. The thing is, I live so close to Paris that there are an abundance of teaching jobs. My only issue is that I have 1) not much experience except for a bit of tutoring and 2) a masters that's not at all in education.
So, should I TEFL? Most programs are really expensive, but if that's the main thing that companies ask for...why not? I have found one program that's not too bad, an online course that's $150 for 60hours.
I've applied to work as an English Assistant in France through the Embassy, won't find out until April. I was considering waiting until I found out to decide if the TEFL cert. was a good route. But, with that said, even if I get that job I'll need some work for the summer. I can't honestly keep grading my bf's students' papers for money (3 euros a pop isn't bad, but still). The other thing is, if I wait, don't get the ESF job, then have to do a month long course, will all the jobs that are popping up now still be around?
I don't know. I'm rather restless at the moment, which is why I want to feel like I'm doing something to help my bank account.
Plus, I've got deferred loans that need paying!!
Decisions, decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment