Thursday, September 3, 2009

Work, school, applications/forms!

This week was the official first week of my last year in undergrad and boy was it busy! Going to work at the gallery, filling out forms for the honor's college, printing and reading articles for class, and looking up graduate schools abroad-- all of that plus fitting a nicotine deprived K into my busy, busy schedule. I have managed, and managed well.

I'm still missing some things though.

For instance, I still need to have my professor's signature so I can begin working on this independent research paper (so I can have honors credit for class), drop off another form to the Honor's college to have my Senior seminar count as an Honor's capstone course -DONE-, start on my Statement of Purpose for college, email the apartment complex K's info since he'll be my guest for two weeks, and the list goes on.....

------
At the moment I'm sitting in the gallery reading Santeria Enthroned and hoping I'll get an email later saying I'm off work tomorrow-- which would mean a three days of freedom for me (no school on Monday because of labor day), which ultimately translates to more leisure and work time. Well, it mostly means that I just won't have to sit in this cold gallery for six hours.

Last night I made up a wonderful schedule to insure that I'm one class meeting ahead in all my courses, something that will make it easier for me to juggle everything as well as entertain K while his here instead of being bogged down with work. Actually, even this week, without being a head on readings and everything, I found it rather easy to make sure all the work I was expected to do was done-- it was not as stressful as I thought it would be. Next week, though, I'll be much more relaxed as I've already finished readings for two classes for the next two weeks, will finish papers for them as well, and have successfully established which graduate schools I'll apply to (starting the generic SOP for them tonight). I'm very proud of myself; I think K's meticulous nature has rubbed off on me!

So, these are the graduate programs I'm applying to, slightly in order of which I prefer (and I do mean slightly). I think this list is pretty set in stone, although whether I apply to Paris I/IV is dependent on whether or not I get the C1 level on the TCP/DALF:
-University of Edinburgh, School of Arts, Culture, and Environment "MSc Modern Art: History, Curating, Criticism"
-City University London's MA in Culture, Policy, Management (in Art)
-IESA's MA in the Art Market
-Paris I's M1 in Art Market/Business

On the fence with:
Birkbeck University

As you can see, my Paris choice has dropped below the others which allow me a new, international experience. Edinburgh sounds like a dream, I've never been there but everything about the program and about the city (that I've been told) is appealing-- medieval style architecture, beautiful landscape, program that focuses on modern art history as well as vocational experience... it's all so much of what I want. Plus, the fact that I've not been there and, therefore, will have a new experience abroad is extremely exciting. I'd love to go to this university. CUL and IESA are appealing as well because I'd spend the bulk of my studies, if not all of them, in London (ironic, since after I visited for a day I was insanely bored of it) and I'd have opportunities for internships. With Paris, the benefits are that it's insanely cheap, is entirely in Paris, and requires an internship. The benefit of all of these in comparison to NYU's Gallatin program (which was going to be the only US program I applied to)? Well, they're shorter and are $60, 000 + less, plus they put in the same city or close to K, although I'm sure he wouldn't mind finally conquering North American, one of the few places he hasn't lived in yet.

Anyway, according to him and what will seemingly be my 1st class honors degree when I graduate (as says University College London's page on degree equivalents), I'll "get all of them." I'm thinking so too, especially adding my research/conference experience, language proficency (-ish), and job experience (uni gallery work counts too, right?), I should have all of them in the bag. Plus, or so I've heard, UK unis taking American money-- and I'd be more than willing to give it, especially to Edinburgh.

1 comment:

Viajera said...

Great choices! I like that you're confident. I didn't go to a crap school for my MA, but I only applied to the one that I knew I could get into, and after aceing the courses and graduating with an "A" avg. and a pretty decent thesis, I wonder if I should have applied for some top 5 schools... Oh well. At least you're approaching it right.