Saturday, August 29, 2009

Le voyage a Houston continue a prendre l'eau

There's one thing I can't stand in people and it is the tendency for people to lie and talk about others all in the spirit of feeding their own egos. The inimical nature of people is what I can't stand; it is an inherent, humanistic vice, everyone has it to some extent, which means, in turn, that I can't very well fault someone entirely for it. I can, however, fault people for not being aware of it and trying, at least trying, to subvert it.

After a good, long talk with my sister (whom I haven't talked to in ages), I'm extremely uncertain if K and I should go to Houston. After the falsities she said our very own parents said about me - thankfully only to her and her fiance, but still falsities - I'm not quite sure I'd be up for the ridiculousness, nor would I be up for sending K off with the aforementioned ridiculousness being one of the last things we did before his 11 hour flight home.

My sister: Oh! Let me tell you what your father said about you!
Me: uhmm, ok.
My sister, trying to stifle her laughter: apparently you're pregnant, paying for K's plane flight, and he only wants to be with you in order to get a green card.
me: oh... my... god...
My sister is, at this point, laughing hysterically and I am too... although the anger and frustration of it all is slowly building.
me: apparently I'm not good enough for someone to put in an honest effort to be with me...
my sister: you know very well how your parents are... there's no changing their minds with facts or figures, they conjure up their own ideas for everything. They are "always" right, at least in their minds.

No, I shall address all of these issues, one by one:
Pregnant? Where my dad got this idea is beyond me because I have not been sick, not gained weight, not given any signs of pregnancy... moreover, I had my period a day after arriving in the US!! As for paying for K's ticket, I shy away from lending my own family money, plus, and this is the supreme fact that obliterates this already tenuous argument, I'M BROKE AS HELL. I mean dirt broke, so broke I can't buy textbooks, so broke I can't buy groceries... hence why my mom is paying for my apartment (well, that's more so apart of the deal of being away for college and doing well blah blah). It's so funny because they honestly think that K is trying to get money out of me, when, in Paris and again, dirt broke, he offered to pay for us to go out, eat, drink, even for me to buy gifts for my ungrateful parents (which I never got around to buying, thank god). He has even offered to pay for my ticket to Ireland in December, which I will likely decline as I've two jobs and just hate the idea of him paying for everything.

Lastly, the green card business is... comical at best. Especially considering I'm the one more liable to see that as an advantage than him (i.e. I want to be an EU citizen and have no plans on staying in the US!). But, again again again and with more evidence that those statements were meant only to castigate without even a morsel of legitimacy, one must live in whatever country he or she desires to become a citizen of for three years and be married for more than a year. Um, although I'd love to imagine me and K going down the road of marriage one day, we've only been together for four months! Four.months. Not at all long enough to even think about marriage, we've only got things figured out up until December/May as it is! Speaking of which, my plan is to go to EUROPE in May, for an extended period of time, not the other way around. So where and why in the world did this concept come into my father's head?

My parents went on vacation last week to Florida where they met up with my sister and her fiance. There was alcohol involved, but unfortunately when my dad said these things he was sober, sober, sober. I can't figure it out at all. I'm just highly disappointed. I mean, since I've been back I've dealt with this whole thing in a mature fashion, dealt with my parents like adults instead of cowering for talking about me and K like my brother does when it comes to him and his girlfriend (who they should be worrying about instead of me).

I just feel like the whole thing will be so embarrassing, embarrassing because my parents can't seem to pull themselves together long enough to be normal, socially functional people or see when one of their children is trying very much to forge a good, honest, loving relationship with them, an opportunity they've already lost with two of my siblings. It's mainly embarrassing because I've seen/heard K talk to and about his parents who, although they too have their moments, at least give their children respect and room to breathe/live, etc. Why in the world can't mine? I know, I know, there was no critical damage done, but I guess I'm just agitated because I really thought I had a more trusting relationship than this with them and that being truthful would be the best route to show how much I've matured, but apparently not. I give up, I'll just be secretive and noncompliant like my other siblings are. Apparently that works much better than my method.

3 comments:

Oneika said...

Girl, I am sooo sorry to hear that! Knowing that that sort of negativity is coming from your parents has gotta be hard... All I can say is do you. You know that you and K have got a good thing...

Viajera said...

Hm... I am not a shrink, and I don't like to give advice, but... Here I go! :D

I think you and K should go and meet your family. You and K know that this is a RELATIONSHIP, not a fling. Any relationship that means to grow has to be brought "home". He brought you home in France and you need to bring him home in the U.S. By doing so you inevitably open yourself up to criticism, but that's what families are good at, and don't you forget it. As far as I can see, you can handle it.

Let them meet, see and evaluate the man that you love. Don't let them continue imagining him as this ugly persona that they have created in their minds because they are afraid that you are growing up too fast (I firmly believe that they are afraid). Once they meet him and see that he treats you well and is a great person, not some promiscuous, visa-seeking French Frog scammer, it is on their heads if they continue to indulge in pettiness.

When they meet, there may be a lot of awkwardness. It could also go just fine. You will have to see. Just remember that this is an introduction to the family and that you're not there to argue out your precious time with K, but rather to introduce him to your life (which the annoying parents are a part of, like it or not).

Bring your relationship into the open in America. He needs to meet your parents and they need to meet him. Even if they don't like him, by bringing him home you will have proven YOUR maturity and that the relationship is legitimate.

(Um... Blogs don't tell eveything, so I'm just basing my analysis of the situation by what you've written here. If I'm wrong, pls forgive! ;) )

Risse said...

Nikita- yeah, it's annoying but my parents are crazy. Nevertheless, their craziness is usually harmless, so I'll just have to deal with it.
Viajera-- you're right. We're still going. K is Irish, btw (I know it seems like he's French since he has family in Paris). Maybe that's why my dad thinks he'd just want to use me for a green card, because lots of Irish people move to the US (and vice versa)? I dunno...